Here is information provided by Electoral Services to help you prepare for the coming Local and the West Yorkshire Mayoral Elections on Thursday the 6th of May 2021.
The Presiding Officer is there to give assistance to electors if requested. Electors can download and complete a “My Voting Passport” form in advance if they feel they may need assistance at the polling station, which can be found at: https://www.kirklees.gov.uk/beta/voting-and-elections/pdf/my-voting-passport.pdf
If electors have difficulty lip-reading, they can ask staff to remove their face covering. Staff are aware of the Sunflower lanyards worn to discreetly indicate to people around the wearer that they need additional support.
Items to assist voters in the Polling Station include: Large print versions of ballot papers to view. Each polling station now has a large magnifier – the size of a “tablet” please ask the Presiding officer for assistance with this. There are also tactile devices for electors with visual impairment.
As you may realise, things will be different at your polling station this year, here are some of the things to expect:
• Additional staff are being employed to help electors and to help manage queues as there will be a limit on how many people are allowed inside at once.
• Please enter the polling station alone where possible in order to maintain social distancing and overcrowding.
• There will be social distancing of 2 metres or more where possible. Unless you have a medical exemption, face coverings need to be worn.
• There will be a one-way system will be in place. Where possible, there is one door in and one door out. Where there is only one door, the marshal will be there to direct electors in and out.
• Hand sanitiser will be available at entrances and exits.
• You are encouraged to bring your own pen or pencil.
• Desk-top Perspex screens will be in place, Polling booths and equipment will be cleaned regularly.
If you are concerned about going to the polling station and wish to vote by post, the last date the Elections Service can receive Postal Vote applications is 5.00p.m. on Tuesday the 20th of April, 2021.
To obtain a Postal Vote application form you can phone the elections service on 01484 221650.