Welcome to the latest news roundup from KVIN for November 2020! Although we are in a second lockdown we are trying to stay positive and focussing on the many weekly groups that we are running via Zoom and telephone. We are sharing again some useful information from the first lockdown and if anyone needs support with shopping, accessing services, or their mental health please do get in touch. We have some exciting fundraisers coming up to join in with and everything donated will be doubled by the Match it! fund. Lastly, enjoy our latest tech podcast over a cuppa to hear what is happening.
- Our service
- Useful Information and Sources of Support
- KVIN news
- Tech News
1. OUR SERVICE
As you are aware, our face to face services are suspended at the moment due to Covid-19, this continues during our second lockdown during November. Read here for more details of the services we are offering at present and our contact details.
At the end of the second lockdown we will review guidance and will keep you all updated if things change.
Our virtual services continue and are expanding, here’s a summary;
- Wednesday: 11am Group Telephone Chat, 1pm Zoom Chat
- Thursday: 11am Zoom Chat, 11am Group telephone Chat, 2pm Group Telephone Chat, 2.30pm Crochet Class via Zoom
- Friday: 11am Zoom Chat, 1pm Anything Apple Group
- We also have a monthly Quiz Night via Zoom and will be starting a Reading Group and Cooking Group in November or December.
- Starting in November we will have a weekly guest speaker at one of our groups, read below (LINK) for more details.
If you would like to join any of these groups, contact us for joining details.
2. USEFUL INFORMATION AND SOURCES OF SUPPORT
We are continuing to share sources of information and support that might be useful at the moment, we regularly update our news items on our website which can be read here. In light of the introduction of the second lockdown, here is a reminder of some useful information;
- Sources of support and useful information during the Corona Crisis The ECLO services continue to operate and they are available on the phone for support, as are the SKIES team who continue to operate rehab and mobility support through home visits.
- Priority shopping with supermarkets If you need help with your shopping please get in touch and we will do our best to help you get deliveries or make some shopping trips for you.
- Support to help you stay mentally well We urge you to talk and ask for help if you are struggling with your mental health at the moment.
- Survival tips: A summary During the first lockdown we shared lots of tips and links to find ways to keep busy at home, our extensive lists will help you fill your days.
- Keeping safe from Scams Here are some useful tips to help you keep safe from Scams and Fraud.
If you are in need of support, please contact any staff member at KVIN, we are here to help!
3. KVIN NEWS
Match it partnership
We’re partnering with Match it from One Community Foundation Kirklees. That means any money raised for us or donated will be matched by them. Your donation will have twice the impact and help us continue with the great work we do for the visually impaired community.
We are planning some exciting fundraising events over the coming month, but also want to hear from you with your ideas for fundraisers.
Planned fundraisers include;
- Afternoon Tea with KVIN on 19th November 2020.
- Christmas Hamper Raffle, details to be announced soon.
- New Year virtual bike ride challenge
In the meantime, if you would like to make a donation to KVIN you can do that online through JustGiving and know that it would be doubled!
Donate here: https://www.justgiving.com/kvin
KVIN AGM summary
On 28th October 2020, KVIN held their Annual General Meeting (AGM).
This was a chance to take stock and celebrate the fantastic work of staff and volunteers in 2020 and to share all of our achievements. To read our annual report which summarises our year, read here.
At the moment we are delivering a wide range of virtual services instead of face to face services so that we can continue to support our community during the Covid-19 crisis. As this is set to continue for the foreseeable future we are expanding our group chats by provide additional information sessions to share useful information about services and technology. These will be run by other organisations such as other sight loss charities, technology companies offering demonstrations and from our team of volunteers sharing their knowledge and insight. So for we have the following sessions booked in;
- Friday 20th Terrys Top Tips
- Friday 27th Maqsood from RNIB about campaigning
We will continue to book further sessions and keep you updated via Social Media about these. If you have any ideas of topics, let us know!
This week we have launched 2 more telephone groups! These are groups where anyone who is unable to access our online groups can join us by landline phone. If this interest you, please contact us.
4. TECH NEWS
Here at KVIN we have a team of staff and volunteers with visual impairments who are able to help you to use technology such as using your smart phone, tablets, and laptops. We can help with magnification and voiceover tech so that you can keep using what you have and can also share some handy apps that might help you out too.
We have recently set up a You Tube channel so that we can share our Tech Podcasts more easily to everyone. Our latest tech Podcast, Issue 11 can be listened to by clicking this link.
In this episode Sam and Mark share the latest developments from Apple, give details of an accessible pregnancy test and an update on our fund raising and social media activity. We also discuss the new accessible freeview TV guide. For more information watch this video.
If you would like to get automatic updates when we release new podcasts you can subscribe to our channel, Kirklees Visual Impairment Network. Next to the channel name, there is a red button named SUBSCRIBE, which will allow you to enter an email address to subscribe.
If you would like to receive the KVIN monthly news roundup straight into your mailbox, sign up here.