After hearing good things about Open Country from quite a few service users for a while now, we decided to get in touch to find out about them and what they get up to!
Open Country is a charitable organisation which enables anyone with a disability to access the countryside, through the provision of outdoor activities and information.
They are based in Harrogate but have a project in Wakefield called ‘Wild about Wakefield‘. The project aims to help people with disabilities in Wakefield District access the countryside.
At the moment all the activities, like KVIN, are being run via Zoom. People living in surrounding areas of Wakefield are welcome to join in too!
Here’s their most recent information;
We are excited to welcome new participants to join our virtual classes (via Zoom) which will be starting the week commencing 8th March for 12 weeks. The classes, which are all free to any adult, are as followed:
- Boogie Bounce, 12.15pm – 1pm on Mondays (using a trampette provided by us)
- Combat, 12.15pm – 1pm on Wednesdays
- On Yer Bike, 5.30pm – 6.30pm on Wednesdays (you need some form of exercise bike to participate)
- Yoga, 10am – 11am on Fridays (we can deliver yoga mats if needed)
- Wild Things Beginners, 10am – 12pm on Fridays (we will send you a box of learning materials before you start)
- Wild Things Intermediate, 1.30pm – 3.30pm on Fridays (we will send you a box of learning materials before you start)
To book on, please ring the Wakefield Recovery College on 01924 316946 (you may need to leave a message with your phone number) or visit Online courses | Wakefield Recovery and Wellbeing College (wakefieldrecoverycollege.nhs.uk)
Also note that they have a tablet and dongle loaning scheme for people that do not have the equipment to access these classes from home.
During lockdown, Open Country has been thinking of ways to bring the outdoors indoors for our members who are missing getting #OutThereTogether with us. We’re delighted to have launched our first ever series of audio walks, aimed at those who are missing their countryside walks or anyone who wants to enjoy a wildlife walk from the comfort of their sofa. Let us bring the wonders of the Yorkshire countryside to your door!
To keep up to date with Open Country you can read or listen to their latest newsletter at their Newsletter webpage.
If you would like to join in any activities with Open Country or would like to find out more you an contact Ella on 07426 716677, or email Wakefield@opencountry.org.uk.