Sight loss – your entitlements

Quite often as visually impaired people we not only have to adapt to the rigors of a life with sight loss but also the changes we have to make in terns of doing or accessing daily tasks, goods or services differently. Making these changes can be often more expensive or time consuming, for example, the loss of a drivers license can lead to a reliance on taxi’s or bus services.

But if you do find that deteriorating vision is having an impact and limiting your choices either in terms of access or finances be sure to know there is help available. Here we take a brief look at what you may be entitled to;


Check you are getting everything you are entitled to from the benefits calculator at GOV.UK.

What help is available if you are partially sighted or blind? Take a look at this quick guide from the RNIB.

Are you the parent or guardian of a child under 16 who is living with an impairment or disability? If so you may be able to apply for disability living allowance on their behalf.

Do you know someone who is providing regular care to someone living with a disability? If so they may be entitled to carers allowance and carers credit, take a look at the link for full details.

If you are over state pension age and are living with extra costs due to your vision loss then you may be entitled to attendance allowance.

You don’t have to be working to claim your blind persons tax allowance and you can transfer it to a spouse, find out more here.

Are you in need of impartial benefits advice or do you have a consumer query? Kirklees Citizens Advice Centre may be able to provide the support you need.

Depending on your circumstances, household income and savings you may be entitled to Employment Support Allowance if you are not working due to illness or disability.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a non-means tested benefit, click the link for details on how to claim and if you would qualify.

Out and about

If you are registered blind/severely site impaired then you will qualify for a blue badge giving you access to accessible parking. To apply for one in Kirklees, click this link.

Are you a frequent Rail traveller? If so, then the Disabled Persons Railcard maybe just for you.

If you are denied a driving license on medical grounds then you will qualify for either the disabled persons or the blind persons bus pass, find out more here.

Practical savings

Regular vision tests are vital whatever your condition, and if you are registered blind or partially sighted and living in England then the test will be free, find out more here.

The Articles for the Blind Scheme offers free postage of items that have been specifically made with low vision in mind, click the link to see the full criteria.

Details of how to sign up for free directory enquiries if you are blind or partially sighted, read more here.

If you are registered severely site impaired/blind then you will qualify for a 50% concession on your TV licence, click the link for full details.

Visiting places for less

The Kirklees passport offers discounts to many local services and if you are registered blind you can apply for a passport with the “plus companion” feature to allow someone to attend venues/events with you, more details here.

Many museums, theme parks, concert halls etc. that charge for admission, offer concessionary rates for people living with a disability and may also offer a free ticket for a companion to accompany you in and around the venue. Check the venues own website for details.

If you are registered blind or partially sighted you can apply for the CEA card which allows someone to accompany you for free at the cinema.

Work and Edcation

Whether you are in work or jobhunting, take a look at what the Access to Work program can do to help you.

this is a must read for anyone who is thinking about higher education, help if you’re a student with a learning difficulty, health problem or disability.

Money saving tips

Make your money go further with these 31 money saving tips for disabled people from the Money Saving Expert.